Friday, May 4, 2007

Running? Blogging?

We've had rain for the last 24 hours, the skies pale and overcast, the ground musty and damp. I'm nestled in blankets listening to a Bright Eyes album a friend emailed this morning, nursing a worsening cold, and trying to catch up on a month of correspondences and several weeks of blogging.

Way back on April 19th, Kurt tagged me with a Thinking Blogger Award. Kurt recently peppered his posts with haikus, which prompted the comment-in-haiku that qualified me for the prestigious award :) In keeping with the trend not to needlessly irritate blog pals, I'll keep the tagging to two: Phil, because he's a fan of To the Lighthouse (one of my favorite books), and my friend Willow, who's blog budding scholar tracks her progress through a PhD in educational policy.

To my great surprise, a number of you wanted more details about the recent engagement, so I'm including most of the text of an announcement email I sent out to family and friends:

"After seven years, a few ups and downs, and many many happy moments together, it is with great joy that Andy and I announce our engagement. Overlooking the vast and beautiful Pacific Ocean, in the spot where we had discovered a Century Plant in full bloom and a pair of Golden Eagles circling above, Andy dropped to his knee and proposed. The ring he presented was one we had both fallen in love with a few weeks before, but that he had successfully convinced me was gone. For those of you interested in such things, it was hand made of platinum around 1925, and holds an exceptional old European cut diamond surrounded by 12 sapphires. I must have looked very silly, standing there on the edge of a cliff, crying and laughing and unable to open the little satin bag that held the ring. He must have felt very silly kneeling there while I stumbled about near the edge of the cliff too surprised and moved even to answer him (I finally did)."

One thing I didn't mention in the note to family, is that running really has become an important shared activity between us. Andy's always been athletic, and I never have been, so he was pleased when I began running. I was pleased that he was able to run with me despite an ankle condition that he monitors carefully (he long ago wore down the cartilage in his ankle playing competitive tennis).

Of course, we've hardly done any running since then, and I only wish I could blame the engagement. In truth, April was just a very busy month, with the end of the school semester drawing near and most of our weekends booked solid from Friday night to Sunday night. This month will be worse if anything, but we've been more consistent about running this week, despite my cold. Our next race will be Bay to Breakers - a crazy 12K that brings out the whole city as thousands of participants, many of them in costume, run across the city from the Embarcadero to Ocean Beach.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Again, congrats! That's a very memorable proposal you have--good for storytelling through the ages.

Hopefully you two will be able to share running for years to come.

Jamie Anderson said...

Very cool! I'm just thankful one of the golden eagles didn't swoop down and carry one of you off. Those suckers are big. Anyway, very nice, and cool that you guys have incorporated running into your shared activities. Important for sure! All of the couples that I know where both are runners are also by far and away the happiest. Coincidence? I think not. Best wishes to you both!

Bruce said...

Have fun on the Bay to Breakers. It sounds a lot like our 'Round the Bays' run we have here in Auckland. Huge numbers and many in crazy costume also.

Jason The Running Man said...

cool stuff and congrats again.

Phil said...

Of course we want more details! When you've been married for the few decades you'll enjoy reading about others as they start their way through marrage. It really is a blast.

I got your tagged and I've thinking about how to respond. I don't have your talent with poetry, but I'll do my best.