Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Perfect 6 Miles

This week's schedule called for an easy 6 miles yesterday, followed by a 5 mile tempo run Thursday, and a 10 mile long run Sunday. So in the afternoon I climbed out of my work skirt and heels and into my running clothes (shorts!), and headed down to the park for my favorite 6 mile run - around Stow Lake and back. The weather was perfect, the air full of the late afternoon city sounds of birds and traffic and wind. A group of teenage geese, awkward and gawky in their coats of half down, half feathers, bunched together at the edge of the lake, nibbling at pant legs; a mother and son stood at the edge of the path waiting for a gopher to poke his head out; a pigeon puffed himself up for a disinterested female - a perfect summer evening.

I found myself checking the Nike+ regularly, making sure to keep the pace slow. Over the last 6 months of regular running, I've started adapting in ways I hardly noticed. A 10:30 pace for easy runs now feels far easier than the 12:00 pace my original training plan called for, my short run has become 3.5 miles rather than 2, and many of the hills the used to hurt, now feel flat (the steep ones still hurt!). Which is to say, sometimes it just feels fantastic to be running - everything is easy, even the hard parts. You're there 100%, and you want to be there, and you've started looking forward to the next run even before this one's over, and you can't believe you ever dreaded walking out the door in your running shoes. This was one of those times.

I'm also looking forward to starting to bike, but I'm a bit daunted by the variety and price range - any suggestions would be very much appreciated!

2 comments:

Jamie Anderson said...

Experiencing progress is great, isn't it? No better feeling. Great job and the hard work you've put in is paying off! As for biking, I am far from an expert, but I do have a road bike I take out for cross training at times. It's an excellent supplement, and a lot of fun.

Gotta Run..... said...

Sounds like a runners high!! I love being so happy about running. Those bad runs will come but at least there are far more good ones that follows.

As for the bike... my husband and I purchased the Specialized Sequoia Road Bike.
http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?sid=06Sequoia

After clips, shoes, shorts, gloves etc. we had close to $3000. It is a lot of money but all the gear last a long time. Nothing better than the open road... other than running of course.

Hope this helps.