Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Biking, Running

I finally biked to work for the first time today - an easy downhill ride. About 3 minutes into the ride, a biker just in front of me caught a pedestrian that darted into his path, skidded, swiveled and went flying, he in one direction, his bike in the other. The pedestrian went on the attack, yelling about responsibility and following the same laws as cars. He even picked up a rock. Granted, cyclists in the city often disregard the law, running stop signs and lights, and careening through traffic. But you don't jump out in front of a car and then blame the driver for not looking out for you. They both seemed fine, so I continued on, but later I wondered if that was bad form - should I have stopped to help?

The way back was . . . painful. I kept shifting down but I couldn't seem to get low enough. I came home sweating more than I have on any run, though the ride is only 2.5 miles. Basically, it shamed me. I'm hoping that I can tell a different story three weeks from now.

Went for an easy recovery run when I got home - just 4 miles at a slow jog. As usually for my recovery runs, the first two miles were a struggle, in fact, I wanted to head home after the first 2 mile loop. But that's nothing new. Sometimes, you just run.

3 comments:

Bruce said...

You've really gotta keep alert when biking dont you. I'm with you about the dozy pedestrian wondering onto the road without looking - and then blaming the cyclist for the crash!! Whats that about?

Biking is like running. It gets easier the more of it you do. Keep it up.

Gotta Run..... said...

Thanks for the link. I will check it out and try anything to keep my stomach happy during future races.

miss petite america said...

biking in sf? you, my dear, are hard core.

and running in vallejo??? did you wear a bullet proof vest?