Friday, March 9, 2007

Next Up?

Another recovery run today, and it feels good to be out running an extra day per week. I can definitely do four days a week. Five might start testing my commitment, but who knows. So far my commitment has been like that of an addict to a new drug - almost limitless. In fact, such a comparison isn't far off - after all, endorphins are more properly called endomorphines.

This Sunday, another 9 miler, then a lighter running week before the 12k. After that? Very likely, the Santa Cruz Half Marathon on April 22. Talk about milestones. The idea seems sudden to me, but here's what I'm thinking: lighter mileage leading up to the 12k and light mileage that week, so plenty of rest before upping mileage again. Then two 10 mile long run weeks, followed by two 12 mile long run weeks, tapering the rest of my week's mileage during the last week. Then the half marathon. We don't plan to run it for time, just as a 13 mile training run, but I'm not entirely confident about this one so advice is welcome!

2 comments:

Phil said...

I think your idea is sensible. Although you have race at the end of next week, the total stress you are putting on your legs is actually less than the last two weeks, so I'd count next week as a rest week. What you run the week after your 12K is wholly dependent on how you feel after race day.

Based on your current weekly mileage, you could be pretty sore ... or not depending on how hard you push yourself. I'd take the day after the 12k off as a rest day and wouldn't do a speed workout the week after the race. As you suggested, I think it's a good idea to continue to push up your weekly mileage. Getting your legs adjusted to running for 2:30 non stop will do you more good at this point in your running career than the tempo runs.

You're doing great. That feeling you have doesn't go away. Just make sure that you build yourself up SLOWLY. You've got nothing but time and rushing your progress only leads to unnecessary injury.

Unknown said...

I'm still too new to rediscovering running, so I will resist the temptation to offer advice.

Listen to your body is the most cliched and trite advice I can safely give.

It's great when you get momentum and the running is more like a treat than a trial.